“On New Year's Day 2018, I am not issuing an appeal. I am issuing an alert – a red alert for our world,”
said the Secretary-General.“As we begin 2018, I call for unity. […] We can settle conflicts, overcome hatred and defend shared values.But we can only do that together,” he expressed. Recalling that last year he urged that 2017 be a year for peace, the UN chief noted that unfortunately – in fundamental ways, the world went in reverse.Perils, including deepening conflicts and new dangers emerged, and global concerns over nuclear weapons reached the highest since the Cold War, he added.
At the same time, impacts of climate change worsened at an alarming rate, inequalities grew and there were horrific violations of human rights.“Nationalism and xenophobia are on the rise,” said Mr. Guterres.Underscoring his belief that the world can be made more safe and secure, conflicts can be settled, hatred can be overcome and shared values defended, he emphasized that unity is indispensable to achieving these goals.“Unity is the path.
Our future depends on it,” said the Secretary-General, urging leaders everywhere to resolve in the New Year to: “Narrow the gaps. Bridge the divides. Rebuild trust by bringing people together around common goals.”
Full text of the message
Dear friends around the world, Happy New Year.
When I took office one year ago, I appealed for 2017 to be a year for peace.
Unfortunately – in fundamental ways, the world has gone in reverse.
On New Year’s Day 2018, I am not issuing an appeal. I am issuing an alert -- a red alert for our world. Conflicts have deepened and new dangers have emerged. Global anxieties about nuclear weapons are the highest since the Cold War.
Climate change is moving faster than we are. Inequalities are growing. We see horrific violations of human rights. Nationalism and xenophobia are on the rise.
As we begin 2018, I call for unity. I truly believe we can make our world more safe and secure. We can settle conflicts, overcome hatred and defend shared values. But we can only do that together.
I urge leaders everywhere to make this New Year’s resolution: Narrow the gaps. Bridge the divides. Rebuild trust by bringing people together around common goals.
Unity is the path. Our future depends on it.
I wish you peace and health in 2018.
Thank you. Shokran. Xie Xie. Merci. Spasiba. Gracias. Obrigado.
Latest from Super User
- As Venezuelans flee throughout Latin America, UNHCR issues new protection guidance
- High-level meeting will gather Caribbean leaders from different sectors to discuss the use of law to help reduce noncommunicable diseases
- Message on International Women's Day 2018
- International Women’s Day: The ‘time is now’ to transform global push for women’s rights into action – UN
- Resources for MUN 2018 Delegates - Human Trafficking
- Haiti: UN determined to support authorities in strengthening rule of law
- UN Secretary-General condemns DPR Korea's underground nuclear test
- Haiti has chance to solidify stability before UN mission’s drawdown, Security Council told
- UN Security Council sees hope for reform after Haiti visit.
- Youth around the world speak up for a world free of nuclear weapons