Under the general theme “Promoting climate resilience and sustainable economic growth in the Caribbean”, the Roundtable, through panel presentations and dialogue among policy makers, academics, the private sector and other stakeholders, will invite consideration of the ECLAC debt for climate adaptation swap initiative, related opportunities for investment in green industries to promote economic diversification, and efforts to promote fiscal responsibility through the use of Public Expenditure Reviews in the Caribbean. The meeting will address the continuing challenge of de-risking and ongoing difficulties being experienced by the offshore financial sector in several member States.
The meeting will focus on four interrelated topics as follows:
- Understanding the ECLAC debt for climate adaptation swap initiative.
- Advancing green investment and green industry for structural economic transformation the Caribbean.
- Promoting fiscal responsibility and management in the Caribbean. The need for public expenditure reviews (PERs).
- Addressing the vulnerability of the Caribbean caused by de-risking and challenges to the offshore financial sector.
- UN announces roadmap to Climate Summit in 2019, a ‘critical year’ for climate action
- Applications are now open for the 2019 UN Global Climate Action awards!
- World in grip of ‘high impact weather’ as US freezes, Australia sizzles, parts of South America deluged
- In 2019, ‘reasons for hope’ in a world still on ‘red alert’: UN chief Guterres
- At global call to action, Antigua and Barbuda PM : "Join us in banning the use of single use plastics"