International Women's Day
- International Women's Day
- Thu, 8. March 2018
- International Days, Years etc
The theme for the International Women’s Day is “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”. Coming on the heels of unprecedented global momentum for women’s rights, equality, safety and justice, the theme highlights empowering women in all settings, rural and urban, and the activists who are working relentlessly to claim women’s rights and realize their full potential. Echoing the priority theme of the upcoming 62nd session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) from 12-23 March, International Women’s Day will also draw attention to the rights and activism of rural women, who make up over a quarter the world population and a significant majority of women in agricultural labour force.
[ more information ]
UN Women's report on Gender Equality launched on 14 February
It demonstrates, through concrete evidence and data, the pervasive nature of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere, and puts forth actionable recommendations on how to reach the Agenda for Sustainable Development. It will be launched on 14 February 2018.
- Data snapshots and case studies in the report take in-depth look at the situation in the United States, Colombia, Nigeria, Pakistan, South Africa and Uruguay. The report looks at two specific areas; unpaid care work and ending violence against women.
- New data shows in the 89 countries with available data, there are 4.4 million more women than men living on less than $1.90 a day. Much of this is explained because of the disproportionate burden of unpaid care work women face, especially during their reproductive years.
- The report also provides wide-ranging recommendations for change, including the roll-out of integrated approaches to implementation that can leverage policy synergies
[ more info ]
Explore women’s activism from generations past and present.
A single moment can spark a revolution, collective actions can transform laws, creative expression can change attitudes and an invention can alter the course of history. Its these threads that weave together to propel the women's movement — even in the face of obstacles. Discover how some of these strands, big and small, have shaped your lives, and the rights and lives of women and girls worldwide.
Powered by JEM