World Humanitarian Day
- World Humanitarian Day
- Sun, 19. August 2018
- International Days, Years etc
Join the #NotATarget movement and demand world leaders to do everything in their power to protect all civilians in conflict.
This World Humanitarian Day we continue to bring attention to the millions of civilians affected by armed conflict every day. People in cities and towns struggle to find food, water, and safe shelter, while fighting drives millions from their homes. Children are recruited and used to fight, and their schools are destroyed. Women are abused and humiliated. As humanitarian workers deliver aid, and medical workers treat the wounded and sick, they are directly targeted, treated as threats, and prevented from bringing relief and care to those in desperate need.
About World Humanitarian Day
On 19 August 2003, a terrorist attack hit the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, killing 22 people. Among those who lost their lives was Sergio Vieira de Mello, the UN’s top representative in Iraq.
Five years later, the General Assembly adopted a resolution designating 19 August as World Humanitarian Day. Every year since then, the humanitarian community has organized global campaigns to commemorate WHD, advocating for the safety and security of humanitarian aid workers, and for the survival, well-being and dignity of people affected by crises.
Video - Not a Target
Resources and More Information
- Convention on the Safety of United Nations and Associated Personnel
- General Assembly resolution (A/RES/63/139) on Strengthening of the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations (establishing World Humanitarian Day)
- General Assembly resolutions on the Safety and security of humanitarian personnel and protection of United Nations personnel
- Reports of the Secretary-General on the Safety and security of United Nations and associated personnel
- Human Security 2014-2017 Strategic Plan
Powered by JEM