PAN AMERICAN HEALTH ORGANIZATION
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
WHAT: PAHO/WHO and the Caribbean Development Bank, in association with the Caribbean Broadcasting Union, invites journalists and communicators to participate in a virtual workshop on how to ensure informative, responsible, safe and evidence-based coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The workshop will consist of an introduction to ethical aspects of journalistic coverage. Journalists will also be provided with information on how to interpret basic epidemiological concepts, as well as an overview of mental health issues in the context of COVID-19.
The aim of the webinar is to help journalists understand the various technical terminology utilized during outbreaks and epidemics, how to interpret the epidemiological curve and to ensure accurate and sensitive reporting on aspects of a pandemic, particularly relating to mental health.
The webinar will also include examples from Caribbean journalists reporting on the COVID-19 pandemic on the ground.
WHEN: Thursday 18 June 2020
TIME: 10 am – 12 pm EST (2 hours)
- Eldonna Boisson, Advisor, Disease Surveillance and Epidemiology, PAHO/WHO
- Claudina Cayetano, Advisor, Mental Health, PAHO/WHO
- Elisa Prieto, Advisor, NCDs and Mental Health, PAHO/WHO
- Ashley Baldwin, Communications Specialist, PAHO/WHO
- Charmain Clarke, Managing Editor, Jamaica Observer
- Emmanuel Joseph, Barbados Association of Journalists
HOW: Via Webex – Participants must register in advance.
1. To register, please fill out the information requested at this link
2. You will then be sent a link to the Webex to use on the day of the workshop
3. Mark the date on your calendar!
International PAHO Consultant
PAHO/WHO Office of the Subregional Program Coordination, Caribbean
PAHO/WHO| Tel 246 434-5200