Title: Administrative Assistant, Individual Contractor (UNOPS)
Contract type: LICA
Contract level: LICA-5
Department/office: Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago Duration: 15/10/2020 through 31/12/2020, renewable subject to available funds and satisfactory performance
Application period: 1 Sept – 20 Sept 2020
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has an international mandate to protect persons in need of international protection, including asylum-seekers, refugees and stateless persons.
The Caribbean region is still largely characterized by the absence of protection-sensitive entry and referral mechanisms and safeguards to prevent refoulement and governments in the region commonly implement widespread immigration detention, which frequently results in arbitrary and/or prolonged detention in conditions that are far below international minimum standards. In the absence of well-established staterun asylum systems, individual registration as asylum-seekers by UNHCR will continue to be the main means by which POCs are protected from forced return and simultaneously promoting access to asylum and registration and also supporting host countries and communities through community-based protection, peaceful co-existence, CBI, and self-reliance/livelihoods interventions. Public information campaigns are also important to combat xenophobia and discrimination among the general public which otherwise threatens to push public policies towards being restrictive.
Our population of concern consists of Venezuelans, Cubans and smaller numbers of 30 other nationalities (including persons of concern from Syria, Jamaica, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Colombia) in Trinidad. The Senior Finance Assistant is a member of the Admin/Finance team who will function under the direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Associate, who is required to monitor the performance of the incumbent and provide regular guidance. The incumbent a refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues. The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the office where the position is located.
The Administrative Assistant normally has no direct supervisory functions though it rests upon the supervisor of the post to make time specific arrangements subject to a given situation. The incumbent will always function under direct supervision of Administrative Associate, who is required to monitor the performance of the incumbent and provide regular guidance. S/he will liaise with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters.
▪ Arrange appointments and maintain Chief of Mission's calendar, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion; Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps;
▪ Assign vehicles for field missions; monitor the assignment of duties to drivers and the weekly schedules and keep track of; track drivers' overtime for submission for approval;
▪ Draft correspondence and reports, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility; Prepare correspondence, documents and reports, some of which may be highly confidential.
▪ Assist in Human Resources tasks on-boarding/off-boarding staff (attendance record, travel arrangements, preparation of travel authorisation, /claims, etc.) for staff within the unit and visa requirements.
▪ Assist in administrative formalities related to travel arrangements and issuance/ renewal of visas, licences, travel arrangements and other similar documents.
▪ Assist in procurement of services and supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records ensuring that UNHCR Policies and procedures are adhered to .
▪ Assist the management to organise and run UNHCR Office.
▪ Facilitate various official missions of UNHCR staff and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
▪ Prepare attestations and certificates required by the staff members for signature of senior officer.
▪ Assist in processing MIP and various other claims by UNHCR staff and other clients of UNHCR.
▪ Perform other related duties as required.
▪ Completion of secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.;
▪ High level of IT affinity (MS Office applications, People Soft).
▪ Fluency in English.
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
Knowledge and competencies:
▪ Knowledge and work experience of MSRP Finance applications.
▪ Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR Financial rules and procedures.
▪ Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
Application deadline: 20 September 2020 by 12 midnight (Trinidad and Tobago time)
Receipt of applications will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates may be contacted for an online test and subsequent interview based on performance during the test.
Please send attachments, do not send links and save in the format Last Name, First Name – Document type e.g. ‘Doe, Jane – Motivation Letter’