UNIC commemorated the Internationald Day in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust (27 January) with an interactive to Model UN Students on the theme of " Dare to stand up for human rights" at one of their training sessions in St. Augustine, Trinidad. Studens were encouraged to express their opinions about the lessons learned from the history of the Holocaust and what they feel is important about demanding their human rights.
On 29 January the students from a secondary school in Port of Spain visit the UNIC to view the film titled- "Who will write our history". The film douments efforts by an underground movement of Jews to document their own experiences to counter the growing spread of Nazi propaganda. The students were also introduced to the Butterfly Project. Those who felt moved enough to create their own, took materials back with them and have are to return the completed projects to the Centre for display.
30 January to 3 February - UNIC in partnership with the UN Depository Library at the Alma Jordan Library on the University of the West Indies Campus hosted an exhibit on the Holocaust on the ground floor of thte main. Staff and students from the university came to visit the exhibit and enage in dialogue with UNIC about human rights, UN and the Holocaust.
images from the activites for 2019
- Students visit the library exhibit Students visit the library exhibit
- items from a "survivor's story" on display items from a "survivor's story" on display
- Film screener at UNIC Film screener at UNIC
- UNIC reference assistant talks to MUN delegates UNIC reference assistant talks to MUN delegates
- Exhibit at the university main library Exhibit at the university main library
- Staff from the university visit the exhibit Staff from the university visit the exhibit
- student group visit the library exhibit student group visit the library exhibit
- Top UN officials tell global forum: urgently address ‘defining challenges of our time’, to empower youth worldwide
- ‘Stand united against anti-Muslim hatred’ urges Guterres, after mosque shootings in New Zealand leave 49 dead
- The Secretary-General’s remarks at the opening of the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women [prefaced by remarks about plane crash in Ethiopia on 10 March 2019] New York, 11 March 2019
- Women’s empowerment ‘essential to global progress’ says Guterres, marking International Day