5 June 2017 , New York - The United Nations Secretary-General , António Guterres warned the assembly at the opening of the Ocean Conference that the special realtionship between people and the ocean that brings many benefits is now under threat like never before. He attributed this threat to the negative human activity on the planet's oceans. He also added that all of it can be prevented and reversed with coordinated, decisive action.
[testimonial author="António Guterres" title="UN Secretary-General" avatar="../images/Guterres_sm.png" icon="icon" ]
“Oceans are a testing ground for the principle of multilateralism,” . “The health of our oceans and seas requires us to put aside short-term national gain, to avoid long-term global catastrophe.”
Wold leaders, civil society, business and adademia assembled at the UN headquarters in New York city to engage in dialogue on the issues impacting on the oceans including climate change and the sustainable way forward. It is expected that the oucome of this conference will be a global call to action document. Read the full details of this in the press release. ( see below)
- Message on World Oceans Day - 8 June 2019
- Media Advisory - Grammy Award Winning Singer, Ashanti, to help announce concert on plastic pollution.
- Antigua and Barbuda, Trinidad and Tobago and Paraguay join Clean Seas campaign during UN Environment Assembly
- UN Ocean Conference ‘dream come true’ for Caribbean nations such as Trinidad and Tobago
- UN-backed projects in the Caribbean highlight connection between life on land and life below water