2 November 2018
In just over a decade, more than a thousand journalists have been killed while carrying out their indispensable work. Nine out of ten cases are unresolved, with no one held accountable.
Female journalists are often at greater risk of being targeted not only for their reporting but also because of their gender, including through the threat of sexual violence.
This year alone, at least 88 journalists have been killed.
Many thousands more have been attacked, harassed, detained or imprisoned on spurious charges, without due process.
This is outrageous. This should not become the new normal.
When journalists are targeted, societies as a whole pay a price.
I am deeply troubled by the growing number of attacks and the culture of impunity.
I call on Governments and the international community to protect journalists and create the conditions they need to do their work.
On this day, I pay tribute to journalists who do their jobs every day despite intimidation and threats. Their work – and that of their fallen colleagues -- reminds us that truth never dies. Neither must our commitment to the fundamental right to freedom of expression.
Reporting is not a crime.
Together, let us stand up for journalists, for truth and for justice.
Latest from Wayde Mark Ramnarine
- Volunteer position: National Specialist (Guyana)
- World Food Programme and partners host regional inter-ministerial symposium on shock responsive social protection
- Message on World Environment Day- 5 June 2019
- Social, cultural diversity ‘an enormous richness, not a threat’ Guterres declares calling on investment for a harmonious future
- UN honours peacekeepers who ‘paid the ultimate price’, for the sake of others
- Message on Nelson Mandela Day - 18 July 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General in relation to the Norwegian facilitation on Venezuela
- message on World Refugee Day - 20 June
- United Nations Strategy and Plan of Action on Hate Speech
- Secretary-General launches the United Nations Strategy and Plan of Action on Hate Speech